If you’re having difficulty accessing the internet, but certain applications such as Skype still work, your computer may have the incorrect DNS settings or is not obtaining these settings from your modem correctly.
Confirming if the problem is DNS related
To confirm if your computer is having DNS issues please do the following:
1. Open the Command Prompt by typing “cmd” into the Windows search bar (or pressing the Windows Key + R on your keyboard and typing cmd)
2. In the Command Prompt type “ping webafrica.co.za” and press enter on your keyboard
If you receive a response such as the one below, “Ping request could not find host webafrica.co.za.”
Try typing “ping 188.8.131.52” and press enter on your keyboard
If you receive a response similar to the below when pinging 184.108.40.206, then it would mean that your computer has a connection to the internet, but cannot look up a hostname, meaning the problem is likely the DNS settings on your computer, please follow the “Set DNS settings manually” process further down this page.
If however, you receive “Request timed out” when pining 220.127.116.11, then the problem is not DNS related but rather an issue with your internet connection itself, in this case, please let us know so we can try to troubleshoot the problem further for you.
Set DNS settings manually
1. Open up the Windows network adapter settings window by typing “ncpa.cpl” in the Windows Search bar or by pressing the Windows Key + R and then typing “ncpa.cpl”
2. In the adapter settings window, right-click on your network adapter and click on Properties (if you connect using Wifi use Wi-Fi if you use a cable then use Ethernet)
3. On the Properties window double click on Internet Protocol Version 4
4. Make sure that “Use the following DNS server addresses” is selected and enter the numbers as below. Then click OK on both windows.
Below is the automatically set DNS:
Please note: All Webafrica deals and packages are subject to change without notification. These include our terms and conditions as it relates to costs and deal/package structures for all of our service providers.